• Baron DeBelleme
    Participant
    #202 |

Just a relic from years ago. Still around like a piece of old furniture in the corner.

We’ve always been a multinational guild but our chosen server has always been in american timezones. This has been the best for the guild of course since majority has been from that area. I am from finland +2 gmt so you might see me in game sessions but most probably not…

…then again there have been times during the previosu years where I sacrificed my sleep to be around with friends here and I got to say that even though I have felt it the next day at work, it has all been very much worth it. So I will be doing that nowdays too unless something really important will take place the next day.

I hope that I will be of use to you guys in years to come, I aim to assist the guild in any way possible. After Swg there’s always just been one problem with that… I am a roleplayer first and foremost which means I rarely get my characters to max level. Swg was the last one I had a max level characters in and I have played many MMOs since then (Star Trek online, Age of Conan, Lotro, ToR). Eso seems to be different, levels come up fast so I think that before ½ year has passed I will have my max level char available for assistance.

ToR I never got the hang of sadly. From the start I disagreed with the developers decision to have a cartoony game and I find myself in the same midset nowdays. Areas felt somewhat interestingly designed but there was so much empty space which for Swg-like sandbox was okay but for an interactive/camouflaged tube like ToR… killed my will to explore anything.

The world of sound effects and audio, I liked some of the music tracks but ToR also has it’s share of really crappy tunes. I wanted to go through Nar Shaddaa as fast as damn possible although it has been my favourite place in all other star wars games in the past. Always wanted a roleplay setting with a flat to live in perhaps. So ToR killed a dream I’ve always had, thanks to zero possibility of having personalized housing and the neon-future-jazzy-hell they turned that place into.

Most sound effects in ToR had no balls attached, I don’t know why. There are some good gun sounds and saber sounds, explosions and technical nick-nack sounds. Some race voices like *ewwghh* Ughnaughts are completely unbearable and can really hurt the ears. Luckily there is no companion from that race available. Back to sound effects, some saber sounds are really odd whizzes. If they had used those in the movies, nobody would never have even wanted to be a saber-toting Jedi when their weapon sounds like a hose spitting out pressurized water. The saber humm also vanished during the few seconds completely, god knows why. Do the devs hate Jedi and sabers somehow? Seem to dislike the saber humm sounds so they made it vanish into nothing.

The story for all classes were interesting at start and frequent enough and not too much. Then the areas increase in size from planet to planet and quests being having side objectives in phases like 1st phase – kill 15 bandits, 2nd phase – kill 30 bandits and 3rd phase – kill bandit sarge. Artificially making the game last longer by having more uninteresting combat with same face-rolling-on-keyboard. At least, it would be less numbing if there wasn’t so much of that kill 40 yadinadenaghs.
    I also enjoy the idea that whatever we do, has an impact in the world we are in and maybe even our intergalactic reputation. On the world, when a group of bandits are slain completely, why do the same groups linger there? ESO seems to have somekind of layered way which affects an area after missions have been completed, at least on some level. Maybe in appearance, but many times the mobs vanish completely for characters personally. After some missions, the villagers come back and begin to rebuild their lives… that sounds realistic, and also I don’t have to fight the same damn extinct bandits that I wiped out along with their leadership, when I pass through the area. This layered system whatever it is, might have odd invisibility effects in group members who are on different stages of the quest or area… but it can be endured as the combat is rarely too lethal for one man to survive it. Other players being around also helps as they run around and assist in combat, even witout being in group the kills and actions count towards completion. No waiting for that scarcely spawning damned boss to appear for each individual going through the same quest.

My current playstyle in ToR is to go enjoy the stories and most side stories but I avoid all repeatetive bonuses. I also avoid doing the world heroics if there aren’t people in the immediate area looking to pull it off. If in 30 minutes someone is assembling a group in the planet, I move onwards and not bother to swoop backwards.
    Most guildies are high level and I don’t want to make people log to their possible lowbie chars to assist with world heroics. Flashpoints… I have done the first one for both sides and some rep ones with Darka a long ago and I think it was Mike or someone else with whom we did a lv43 one on sith side, don’t remember the Fp name though. If I had to count all FPs I’ve ever managed to be part of, it would be less then 30 runs (all counted). Luck has not favoured me I guess but I also don’t have the time to wait nor the time to squander doing a really long FP. Always wondered why they had to last so long? The stories involved were interesting of course, at least in teh few I have managed to do. So much fighting though, I would hope the rest have less combat and a way to affect the combat in some areas (tactically thinking, activating some battledroids to help my cause or helping out Republic dropship troopers to gain a foothold, from where they could give large area sniper and mortar support). Less combat, more talking and tactics and other kinds of swashbuckler -type action, that would be more move-like FP… wouldn’t that be the star wars we all are seeking for? A movie where we are the stars. Understanding the preferences of the current media and what probably makes more money for the big bosses out there, there is little reason to rebel against certain decisions and just vote with the wallet.
    The rest of the times I might hang around in starter worlds or hub worlds and look for roleplay groups. Very little seems to be going on apart from the central space station of both sides.

Current games I can be found in hmm… ToR as F2P, ESO, DayZ Epoch for Arma 2, Dayz Origins for Arma 2 (but very rarely after Epoch), Terraria, Fable 3, Diablo 3 and Star Trek online (but only if roleplay groups appear).

Characters also in EvE online and Age of Conan, but I don’t see myself going back to those games without a really good reason 😀 (I mean a phenomenally good reason).

• Ev
    Keymaster
    #212 |

TL;DR

XD

• Baron DeBelleme
    Participant
    #256 |

Ah a short version… hmm.

Me like games, play when ready and able. Mixed feeling about many games, could use me club on dev heads.

• Tanthalas
      Participant
      #305 |

HMMMMM Using a Club on Dev Heads actualy sounds like a good idea…

• Ev
    Keymaster
    #295 |

mm, club devs, me like club dev who make bad game. play good game, good game fun.

(I’m just kidding, I read it all. totally understand the tor stuff.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.