• Tanthalas
    Participant
    #931 |

Everyone knows I have a “good system” but Craptastic internet, I decided to make this post so I could point somthing out…

I had forgoten how smooth a MMO coud run, seriously all my horible load times and massive lag in TOR is just gone in ESO… Unlike TOR ESO loads like it is on my home system instead of like the conection got lost in the mail…

so my question is, is somthing fundementaly wrong with TOR or is it just me ignoring the lag etc in ESO? anyone else notice this diference that has played both?

• Darka
    Keymaster
    #935 |

TESO runs smooth, but you will find the odd lag spike or sbilities failing from time to time. The Hero Engine for TOR is a known problem source, and why ES ended up not using it and building their own engine
    If TOR didnt use the Hero Engine would have seen a better handled perfromance i feel, as its been something called out on since launch. In a move to cut development time and costs ended up hurting them big time

TESO is a big open world but i found many of the areas were the same look wise, which was a little annoying.

• admin
    Keymaster
    #938 |

I usually don’t have many problems with either. ESO’s updates take forever as opposed to TOR’s taking about a half hour on average. ESO does have quite a few bugs, but so did TOR at it’s launch. The only problem with ESO is not being able to help someone on quests you have already done. It is kind of weird going through a place you already cleared and watching others combat stuff you can’t see.

• Darka
    Keymaster
    #939 |

They had a massive 30gb patch recently was fucking crazy

The group bug/not being able to help was a really odd choice of design, its one thing TOR does well.
    I think many get put off by the fact that you have to be proactive in this game, there is no follow this, follow that. Its you explore where you want, to a degree of course. Rather then TORs follow me this way style

TOR could use ESO open world style, and ESO could use more of the TOR class quest level stories

• Baron DeBelleme
    Participant
    #959 |

I find ESO is easier to the eye with it’s more realistic graphics and more detailed surroundings yet it still feels more fluid. Each area has some of those same dungeon layouts which are used perhaps too often. Those shorts dungeons with small boss at the end and a delivery quest scroll at the end.

When we were speaking of ToR and doing the forum fencing about the decisions the devs did, I remember that Nempo said that the choices for there being less choices in char creation and the character models is to ease the stress, thus assuming to make the game more stabile or playable. The cartoony graphics seemed to give an excuse to use less detailed textures too, yet still the game didn’t feel it was any more fluid from most MMORPGs. It was playable but their chosen art style has bothered me before launch, and afterwards even more so as I noticed that the sacrifice is almost too great to gain nothing.
    Another is forcing / assigning sabers and weapons to specific classes. This kicked balls of immersion too hard, but for what? Nempo had the answer, apparently it was more easier to recognise the opponent classes on the pvp field when they are forced to use specific weapons and armor… pvpers agree to this I am sure, but people are not stunted to one single way of thinking. They would be able to adapt, like they have to in other games.

Off-topic, I know… but I was getting those first impressions I got during my first 24h in ESO and TOR also, by going through a hoop!

With my current machine, both games run with full settings and ESO is the one that pleases the eye AND ears. One of the seller lines in ToR was that it is not a sandbox but something else… which was true but I fell asleep on my speeder more times then I did while riding my horse through the lands in ESO. There are even obstacles to dodge and nooks and crannies to explore. I fall asleep in both games but for very different reasons, simply put.
    ToR was supposed to avoid having large waste-of-spaces, but there are alot of spaces which have gone to waste as there is no housing to use it with. Personally I was never bothered by big planet surfaces, quite the opposite. Travelling to player vendors to get hold of their crafted stuff was a unique experience, I have not bumped to the same system in other MMOs yet, apart from EvE Online. Can guess why, it probably doesn’t fit well with impatient players for whom the current new games are molded for.

Star Citizen could have similar as Swg travelling and selling system, in fact I am counting on it. No quick travel hyperspace windows neither… players will have to move their ships (perhaps using autopilot of course) through sectors and systems by themselves.

Here’s a refreshment from the past, still applies today although it doesn’t show current games. Should be a good chuckle:

Learning Curve

Wishful thinking perhaps, but I would like to see the next Disney -made Star Wars MMORPG and the Star Citizen somewhere between EvE and the PotBS on the chart. Challenge with potential for entertainment and a way to make memories as a guild which we would never forget.

ESO is about the same as the rest on that chart. It is easy to get into and gives information in small dozes, leaving very few questions when all is said and done.

Wildstar is about the same as the rest on the chart. Learning curve is slightly higher but in a way which makes it unpleasant. For a new player, only the basics are explained. There are times when you have absolutely zero clue what the hell has to be done next and how it is going to happen as sometimes nothing seems to happen at the spot. Many things are left unexplained, but there is an in-game help somewhere which you will have to stop to read (might as well alt-tab out of game and google the same stuff – almost pointless feature). There is PLENTY of stuff to do, there is always something on the journal… before my 1 month sub ended, my character had 30 or so quests active on that area alone. Then some hopping around, as the quests re-use some areas. Not bad as such, the game has immensely more details in surroundings then ToR, and feels more fluid in area transitions in general. Sometimes the skills we try to use, will not. Possibly for the same reason as in ToR? Wildstar is probably trying to grab WoW crowd with it’s look and feel, it would be no surprise if that were true. As a game it is well done and the launch went well too, like ToR (quite fluid for a launch methinks).

Okay, time to get some shuteye, rambling wont work with sleepy head.

• Tanthalas
    Participant
    #971 |

ROFL Deb bout time someone updated that old Cartoon. Guy could throw in TOR, Rift, WoW, GW2, Rift, and now ESO… maybe I should just do that.

• Darka
    Keymaster
    #972 |

Yeah. TOR has its look. Admiittedly I would have preferred a more realistic style of look to the game, but i have enjoyed my time in TOR
    ESO at times was boring and at other times I have really enjoyed it.

• Baron DeBelleme
    Participant
    #983 |

[quote quote=971]ROFL Deb bout time someone updated that old Cartoon. Guy could throw in TOR, Rift, WoW, GW2, Rift, and now ESO… maybe I should just do that.[/quote]

True, Tanis. Do you volunteer and add more lines in it? 🙂

Honestly there were tens of such charts where someone had just edited the names but not touched the lines. I just picked the first one I ever found, kind of gives the idea anyways. Wildstar line would start off really steep but after a month or so, the line would change angle much lower as all things become clear in a few months.

There was also a chart which continues on the next page… in that, eve online gets like a staircase downwards along with published game updates. You’ll find it I’m sure heh. Unsure if it’s true though, maybe someone was bashing EvE for having been shot down a few times too much.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.